Where Does It All Go?
One benefit of not going to Italy this weekend (if there can be such a thing??) is the practical availability of time to unpack all of our furniture and household goods that were shipped here via ocean freight from California. Doing this has been sort of an unworldly experience, for two reasons.
First, even though we have a fairly large house by Swiss standards...nothing fits! I had a gigantic kitchen with oodles of storage in California - perfect for my equivalent of a Crate and Barrel kitchen section I have thanks in large part to 'donations' from Grandmother over the years. Here's an example of my downsizing requirements. In San Diego, the kitchen had six drawers. In Geneva, we have ONE drawer. Period. One. Seriously? One?!!? I'm clearly 'creatively challenged' to find places for all of these things. But, I'm good at that...so it'll work out.
The second ephiphany has been: never let your husband supervise packing alone, at any cost. Here is a list of items I have unpacked (so far) that have bewildered me. Really.
1. Half of a box of Cheerios yes, opened, and yes, carefully shipped in a crate on the ocean. Anyone interested?
2. A small bundle of unmatched socks. What are the odds we will really find their partners here?
3. An empty jar of pasta sauce. Fully sealed, it apparently just couldn't stand to stay behind on its' own.
4. Dirty laundry. Please!
5. Empty grocery bags. Now, I know what you are thinking - maybe that was a proactive move. Yeah, my husband doesn't think like that....but nice try!
If anyone can top this in their moves - please leave a comment - I'm looking for some reassurance!
No comments:
Post a Comment