Ikea, Geneva Style
Last week, I decided I had to visit Ikea, which apparently furnishes every P&G expat's home here in Geneva. After a week of refusing to pay for full-size shopping carts at the grocery stores, a tear welled up in my eye when Ikea offered them up for free! Some things are universal!
But some things ARE different - the European mode of 'smaller' means everything is tiny - the glasses, the plates, the beds...the couches....yet Ikea made a lot more sense when I realized how serious about space-saving Ikea furniture soluations are, especially now that I'm in that boat with miniature kitchens, bedrooms and the like. Things like magnetizing kitchen appliances to hang on the wall, or putting in the air-type storage on a TV stand are so logical now, not just nutty-neat.
The Ikea cafeteria still serves up tons of meatballs, and the fresh food market had a plethora of food-in-tubes, including salmon-flavored cream cheese (the kids love it!) and tomato paste....oy! 



My purchases for the day: a drying rack for clothes (still washer- and dryer-less, I've gone 1890's style and am handwashing for now), a recycled carry bag for bringing home groceries (the local markets charge you for bags if you don't bring your own), some potted plants (just to add some green inside the house!), and some rugs for the floor since the entirely hardwood floor house echoes like nobody's business. I forgot to buy the tube of cream cheese!
1 comment:
how could you forget the tube of cream cheese? I love love love salmon cream cheese, give it a chance. I've never had an Ikea meatball but I've heard they are the best too. And what's with the hand washing? Geneva has laundray mats. I washed my clothes when I was there at a place just down the street from the Hilton. I think you need to make a trip into town to start washing your clothes like the rest of us in the 21st century do. Heehee.
Post a Comment