Thursday, June 14, 2007

I'm a.....Commuter???

Having lived most of my in vast, far-reaching states where driving anywhere with a car isn't just a privilige - it's a God-given right - it was a surprise to see how many people commute here in Geneva. I had a sneaking suspicion when we came to visit earlier in the year and the real estate agent went on and on about how convenient the train station was to the house we would be renting. But, I filed the thought away in a dark part of my brain, and started dreaming instead of the sassy little SMART car I was going to get - they are all the rage here, and you can park sideways in them! What's not to love?


Then I started work last week. Driving to work shouldn't be so bad - it's only 8 miles. But traffic here is gridlocked, likely because most roads are just one lane - even in the busy downtown that everyone has to drive through to get anywhere. So, it takes 20 minutes instead of 10....but...that's ok. I can handle that. But, then I get to work, and have to find parking. Well, I don't have to find it - if I'm willing to PAY for it! What????? Natch, pay to park in a garage that isn't even connected to the building? I've never paid a monthly fee out of my own pocket to park anywhere, and really, in my last job, if I wasn't within the first 10 spaces to the door, it was the definition of how a bad day started out for me. So, no, I will not pay for your parking, Geneva! Instead, I parked as far as 3/4 mile away, and walked. It's healthy, it's beautiful outside, I brought my Keds with me...perfect! Nice change of pace! Save money for cheese and chocolate! Then, one day it rained really hard...I didn't have an umbrella...yeah, that wasn't so good.

Begrudgingly, I started asking around for how people all get to work - and whether people really pay for parking? And the conversations on commuting started coming back up. A lot. People are very creative here - they ride bicycles, Vespas (!), take the train, but mostly, they take the bus. But few people seem to drive (and oddly, no one carpools???).


So, last Sunday, I sucked it up, mapped the route from my house to work, and started on a practice run to make sure I didn't end up in France or something. It involves walking to the train station, hopping on a train, changing to a bus downtown, and arriving right in front of the building (yes, closer than the parking garage). All told, 40 minutes. And, the buses have these great digital screens in them that tell you the stops coming up, and what line changes there are - that's Swiss efficiency for you!

Monday, I did it for real - and, I guess it's really not so bad. I drink my coffee, do some people-watching, and listen to French lessons on my iPod. OK, actually, I don't do that last part, but it seems like it would be a really good idea. It's been 4 days now, so..... I guess I'm officially a commuter. I'm still learning how to have that detached gaze while commuting - apparently the friendly smile approach is not part of the whole riger. Which is too bad. But eventually I'll get the hang of it.

The SMART is on sadly hold for now...at least until winter arrives, when I understand I might even need to invest in a lined coat, and may definitely be able to start complaining about walking 300 yards to the train stop. On the bright side, I'm already doing things I never imagined in my life I'd embrace...like riding a bus to work! I guess the impossible is possible when you try hard enough!

No comments: